The Heart of our Community
The church provides financial and spiritual support to many in our community, among them the Crossroads House, Salvation Army, Doctors without borders and Friends Forever as well as individuals in need.
The church is the center of community activities for residents, friends and family regardless of membership.
Some of our community events:
- Musical Concerts and Recitals
- Weekly Men's Coffee Group
- Bi-Monthly Interfaith Dialog Discussions
- The Guild - Holiday and Rummage Fairs, etc.
- Maude Trefethan students' Musical Performance with soup supper and tree lighting
- Summer Arts and Crafts Fair
- Monthly Community Potluck Suppers followed by a variety of interesting presentations
Important Historical Facts
- Established in 1693 with the first church building
- Replaced in 1704, a bible from the time still used at Christmas and Easter today
- Present church built in 1828, dedicated in 1836
- Joining together since 1693 to present, men and women created a strong foundation
- Original belfry cap was transformed into a gazebo in 2006
- Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 2015
Reverend Dr. Ronald Staley
Our minister Ron, is friendly and committed to helping people from all backgrounds feel comfortable. One of his favorite hymns says: "In Christ there is no East or West, In him no North or South..." Ron is dedicated to keeping things democratic, i.e., "congregational". Come help us practice democracy and live a more fulfilling spiritual life. Ron's background includes degrees in teaching at The Boston University School of Theology in World Religions (MA) and Spiritual Development (PhD).
Director of Music
Charlie Blood, provides a concert at every service featuring our organ and baby grand piano. He's frequently joined by area musicians such as the soprano Angelynne Hinson, trumpeter Robert Stibler, Portsmouth Men's Chorus and others. Charlie also performs concerts at community events, including a recent recital with his daughter, Elizabeth. Charlie holds a MA in Music from UNH, is an adjunct piano instructor at SNHU and is a freelance musician.